Philosophy: Health, that optimal state of physical, mental, social and environmental well-being, is a right and responsibility of all of Hawaii's people.
* Promote health and well-being
* Prevent disease and injury
* Promote healthy lifestyles and workplaces
* Promote the strength and integrity of families and communities
To prevent pollution and promote and preserve a clean, healthy and natural environment
* Promote resource conservation (recycling)
* Protect and enhance air and water quality
To assure basic physical and mental health care (the five A's)
* Assured quality
* Ensure that core public health functions - assessment, policy, and assurance - are implemented or maintained.
* Ensure that federal mandates, including court-ordered settlements are satisfied.
* Ensure that resources are directed at those problems that pose the greatest risk to the public's health and the environment.
* Ensure that appropriate and cost-effective resources are dispersed geographically and satisfy principles 1 to 3.
* Ensure that the health department is the service provider of last resort for uninsurable populations and where there is no other satisfactory alternative.